Monday, July 26, 2010

How can I wear dark eye makeup without looking like a tramp?

I like the dark eye makeup look - lots of smoky black eyeliner and eyeshadow. However, whenever I try to wear this look, my family tells me I like like a tramp with all of that black eyeliner. I don't want it to look trampy and I'm not aiming to look sexy, I want more of a dark and serious look (I want to say it's a somewhat gothic-like look, but I'm not sure if that's the right way to describe it.) How can I achieve this?How can I wear dark eye makeup without looking like a tramp?
I know what your talking about. I love that look too. :)





My recommendation is to first put on some silver, grey, or any lighter color eyeshadow on. Don't use black all over your lid, because that does look too dark. Then, put thicker eyeliner at closer to the edge of your top eyelid, and let the line get thinner as you go towards the inner corner of your eye, until there's none there. It looks much less trampy. On your bottom lid, you may just want to put it on the outer half of your eye, for the same reason.





Personally, I wear brown eyeliner, but I'm going for a natural look, so that may not be what your looking for. Also, wear some black volumizing mascara. It's an easy way to look intense.





Good luck! :)How can I wear dark eye makeup without looking like a tramp?
ok, im not a beautician but I love my eye make-up..





I think you should start with a light colour on the inside of your lid (closest ur nose), blend a shade somewhat darker in the center of ur lid, the colours must be the same just different shades, blending is very important. On the outside of ur lid put your darkest shade of that colour, again blend well. This darkest colour can be shaded along just underneath ur brow bone and slightly above the middle colour (this will ensure blending is done well).





As for liner, make sure its well pointed (if pencil), the finer the tip the better- put the eye liner barely on the edge of your eye- above and below.





To finish this look you can use your 'darkest' shade (or for fun a completely different colour) and in the outside corner of your eye barely sweep your brush under the eye ( this must be fine %26lt;not really obvious%26gt;). Do not go too far in, just about 5mm.





what I've learned from years and years of bad make up choices is that practice makes perfect. Experiment and you will find your niche and what really suits you. Enjoy!
Blending in the colours is key here. For the classic smokey eye, use black eyeshadow on your lid only, and use some grey in your crease. Then silver on your browbone, blending all the colours together. If you blend them together, you can achieve a really nice look and it will not look so dark.





Using black eyeliner without it looking cakey can be a challenge. My suggestion is to smudge it. Smudge it to the side, to mellow it out a little. This can still look dramatic, just not as stark.





Here is a kind of example of what I mean (minus the lipstick, unless that's what you want as well):


http://allwomenstalk.com/wp-content/uplo鈥?/a>





Actually, I've written tutorial of my ';classic smokey eye'; if you're interested. Here it is.





Emma鈥檚 Traditional Smokey Eye %26amp; Nude Lip





1. Wash your face. I know that seems like something that鈥檚 a given, but lots of people don鈥檛. Wash it with good old-fashioned soap and water, get rid of all the oil, cleanse it with a makeup wipe and dry. A lot of women don鈥檛 like the thought of using soap on their faces anymore because all of the ads tell us we shouldn鈥檛. Well, ignore it. Soap is fine. Really. Or, okay, if you鈥檙e really worried about it, use hypoallergenic soap (Jergens Gentle Soap, $4).





2. Do your eyes first, because if you do your face first and then you mess up your eye (say, you get powder on your face, happens to me every time), you鈥檒l have to redo your whole face. And that just sucks.





3. Now that the basics are over, curl your eyelashes before applying mascara. Always curl your eyelashes first, despite popular belief! If you curl them after mascara, you run the risk of pulling out lashes. For extra volume, hold your curler under the hairdryer for a couple seconds and then curl your lashes (make sure it鈥檚 not too hot). Now, apply the mascara. I recommend using black mascara for this particular look (Rimmel London Glam鈥?Eyes in Blackest Black, $8). You can apply a second coat if you want, but be warned that this may cause clumping.





4. Now that your mascara is applied, make sure there鈥檚 none on your eyelid or brow bone (has happened to me about a million times!). Now, prime your eyelid. Here, you can use an eye primer of your choice if you own one (e.l.f. Mineral Eye Primer, $3), or if you鈥檙e like me and you鈥檝e never even used one, you can use liquid foundation instead (Cover Girl TRUblend Liquid Foundation, $11). Foundation is the much cheaper alternative, I鈥檒l tell you that ($18 for eye primer?!). It鈥檒l prevent any creasing of your eyeshadow. Dab some onto your eyelids and rub it in well. Your eyes are now primed. Cheaply, too.





5. Now to apply eyeshadow. You will need four colours: black, light grey, dark grey (the greys are better if they are matte), and silver (the silver is best if it has shimmer 鈥?matte doesn鈥檛 highlight well). For this, I鈥檝e found Rimmel鈥檚 palette to be the best (Rimmel London Colour Rush Quad Kit in Smokey Noir, $5). I like to use a matte black for the eyelid (e.l.f. Mineral Eyeshadow in Seductive, $3). You can use the swatches or sponges that the cosmetics company gives you if you like, but I strongly, strongly recommend you get proper makeup brushes or the results will not be as good. I use e.l.f. brushes, which are good quality and very inexpensive (e.l.f. Professional Shadow Brush, $1, e.l.f. Contouring Eye Brush, $1).





6. Take your flat eye brush and apply the black onto your lid. Apply it carefully and all over your lid, moving up as you go. Make the shadow closest to your lash line very dark and get lighter as you move towards your crease. Fade out the black eyeshadow at your crease, then apply the dark grey into your crease and blend. The whole trick to this eye look (and most eye looks) is in the blending. Blend it in well, then proceed to applying the light grey shadow just above your crease and just below your brow bone. I recommend you use a contouring eye brush here, as it鈥檚 thinner and not flat (highlights much better). Make it overlap your crease slightly, and blend again. Finally, apply the silver eyeshadow to your brow bone, below your eyebrow. Blend it as well into the light grey, but apply ample amounts of silver for lots of shine and to highlight your eye.





7. I couldn鈥檛 do this without recommending the perfect eyeliner for this look. A lot of people would probably turn to kohl or pencil liner, but sometimes I find it can look much too harsh. I recommend instead using eyeshadow and an eyeliner brush (MAC Brush 266, $20). For the liner, we鈥檙e using black eyeshadow again, but if you want to set it apart from the shadow on your lids, use a black with a bit of shimmer rather than matte (MAC Eye Shadow in Black Tied Velvet). Wet your eyeliner brush. This is key. Wetting the brush makes the eyeshadow go on much more smoothly, less powder spills and far less messy, and a much more defined line. It will be like liquid eyeliner that dries to a powder finish, beautiful.





8. Okay, eyes are done! Now, for the nude lip. This is a great tip I picked up from a website that I have refined since I tried it. If you鈥檙e like me, you鈥檝e looked for that perfect nude lipstick and have bought several that just don鈥檛 work for you. They鈥檙e the wrong colour, too peachy, too pink, etc. So, first make sure your lips are well exfoliated. There鈥檚 nothing worse than applying lipstick to that perfect finish and then realizing that your lips are all flaky and ruining the effect. Here鈥檚 a simple tip: use a soft toothbrush and rub it over your lips gently to get rid of all the dead skin.





9. After you鈥檝e exfoliated them, you can apply to your lips a lip primer of your choice, or again if you鈥檙e like me, you don鈥檛 own one. Never fear, because I always use lip balm as a base instead and it works just fine (Mavi Island Formula Lip Balm SPF 15, $2). The only tip with the lip balm is to let it set for a minute or two, or it might be too moist when you apply anything on top of it.





10. Now take your liquid concealer and apply it to your lips (TRUblend Liquid Concealer, $10). Careful, though. I don鈥檛 know how many people are actually like me makeup-wise, but my concealer is always a couple shades lighter than my foundation. This made my lips chalk-white, as I have fair skin. If it happens that the concealer shows up far too light, use your liquid foundation instead 鈥?it matches your skin tone a lot better than concealer (which, again, you should be buying a couple tones lighter than your foundation). Spread it over your lips and let it set a minute or two. Don鈥檛 overdo it; if you need more concealer or foundation after, you can apply it after, overdoing it will just make you look like you鈥檙e wearing, well, foundation on your lips.





11. Okay, so you鈥檙e looking in the mirror and you鈥檙e thinking: God, does this nude lip ever make me look washed out. Why did I ever try this? If this happens to you (like it did to me), you need to add a VERY SMALL amount of colour. Any red lipstick will do the trick quite nicely (Maybelline Moisture Extreme Lipstick SPF 15 in Midnight Red, $8). Spread a very small amount of lipstick onto your fingertip and gently mix it into your lip. Keep doing this to desired colour. I found this vastly improved that washed-out look and gave me a perfect nude lip.





12. As a final tip (but not a must-have), apply a clear gloss over your nude lip to hydrate and add a bit of shine. I did this and it improved the look even more (L鈥橭real Infallible Never Fail Lipstick, $11, or any other clear stick/gloss).
You know, this video helps a lot for that. Although it's not all gunked on, it's still dark, and pretty. And non-trampish. :p http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_YCqDNenKc
Thus youtube guru is amazing, here a smokey tutorial.





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esN1NsJza鈥?/a>





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF7ckfxIn鈥?/a>
Maybe your family isn't used to you wearing a lot of dark makeup or probably don't want you wearing a lot of makeup to attract the wrong type of people(opposite sex). Girls can't seriously look like a tramp if they wear dark makeup and decent covered up clothes. Unless if you have on dark makeup and then you wear something that is barely covering you. Instead of wearing dark makeup somewhat gothic-like look, try something a little lighter, probably some kind of dark brown with black eye liner?

No comments:

Post a Comment